In partnership with the Mayor’s YouthWorks program and nine non-profits in Southeast Baltimore, Banner Neighborhoods Community Corporation provides neighborhood youth with community-based work experience, job and life skills training and community engagement experience during the summer months to prepare for future employment.
Banner’s Summer Employment Program is a part of the Southeast Youth Collaborative, a group of nine organizations that provides meaningful work experience in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Employment Development’s YouthWorks program, employment training, enrichment and community engagement for older youth living in Southeast Baltimore.
The Manager is responsible for overseeing Banner’ Summer Youth Employment Program. The position requires supervising 4 Supervisor Crew Leaders for 8 weeks. For 5 out of the 8 weeks, there will be 40 YouthWorkers reporting to the site. The other 3 weeks are for training (first 2 weeks), and transition (1 week) at end of program. Applicants must be able to clearly express themselves orally and in writing. The Manager must be able to multitask and coordinate effectively with city agencies and collaborative partners. Must be able develop and execute daily work schedules/enrichment activities.
- Design, develop and implement beautification projects that addresses the varying needs of the community such as but not limited to: green spaces, gardens, tree pit mulching, removing weeds and debris from streets and sidewalks, etc.
- Plan and facilitate all program activities to meet expectations of program
- Assist Supervisor Crew Leaders in developing social and life skills through positive role modeling and enrichment activities by using the Skills Builder Curriculum
- Provide daily work schedules for the weeks
- Ensure appropriate equipment and supplies are available
- Partner and work in unison with community organizations in collaborative to provide enrichment and team building activities
- Collect daily attendance to input into CHARM and facilitate pre-post program survey data/evaluations from Supervisor Crew Leaders
- Prepare detailed reports on all summer employment activities performed
- Supervise youth while performing duties assigned
- Work in unison with staff from Southeast Youth Jobs Collaborative as well as Banner to plan, implement and evaluate projects
- Maintains contact with external agencies, parents and others to assist in resolving problems
- Attend and participate in all necessary trainings
Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are necessary. Employees are expected to maintain confidentiality, have ability to multi-task, maintain a positive attitude and project a professional image to internal and external contacts.
Employees must be self-directed, anticipating opportunities and challenges before they become a detriment to program. Employees must be energetic and possess the ability to work independently and comfortably among diverse communities. Employees are expected to maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive documents.
- Experience leading youth in traditional or non-traditional settings
- Background or training in working with high school age youth
- Knowledge of youth development
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have ability to work independently and efficiently without direct supervision
- Good interpersonal abilities-able to interact effectively with co-workers
- Bachelors preferred, but a minimum of 2 years of post-secondary education
- Experience planning and implementing programs or projects
- Experience in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word) is necessary
- First Aid/CPR Training
- Pass background check
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
Must be able to function under fast paced and hot conditions. Should be physically fit to engage in positive role modeling or demonstrations when necessary. Physical requirements include: standing, stooping, physical activities, and lifting a minimum of 20lbs. Reports to work Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM.
The position is temporary, but full-time at 40 hours per week for 8 weeks. Start date is June 11, 2018 thru August 03, 2018. The position pays $20/hr.
How to Apply
Please send a brief email and resume to email@example.com.